Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Performance Enhancer



               At first, I was confident with the decision that we should ban steroids in sports, but I started to doubt my decision after watching the film “Bigger, Faster, Stronger.”  Anabolic steroids, one of the most widely used performance enhancer in sport, are considered illegal among the sports athletes. However, the debate is still going on that whether we should legalize the performance enhancing drugs. If I imagine watching a Super Bowl game, while knowing that all the players are depending on certain performance enhancer, I would probably not get too excited with their performances. Likewise, we are amazed by sports athletes’ energetic performances that are resulted from their own effort and hard work, and it is true that people get less interested in those players who cheat.
                After watching this video, I questioned myself “If we ban steroids in sports, what about the performance enhancer used by musicians and fighter pilots? Aren’t they also considered as cheating?” The video showed that fighter pilots often take drugs to lower the blood pressure, and musicians take beta-blockers to prevent performance anxiety. However, people do not think these behaviors as cheating, which they might say “in sports, you should play fare and in war you don’t.” Remember Tiger Woods got his eye surgery to have better vision. Isn’t this also considered as performance enhancer?
                I found an article about eyeglasses that can enhance sports performance, which I’m not sure whether it is allowed for professional athletes, but it is truly a performance enhancer used by sports participants to gain advantage during competition. If sports eyeglasses and steroids both enhance the players’ performance, why do people only concern about athletes using steroids? I think it is really hard to give the right answer for these questions, which I guess different explanation can support individual opinion.


Related link: http://www.allaboutvision.com/sportsvision/eyewear.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment